Saturday, February 5, 2011

Welcome to The Interpretation Blog

Those of you who are here probably know me already, and you're probably already bored. How could something called The Interpretation Blog be interesting?

Because, we don't acknowledge the extent to which interpretation colors our daily activities.

What I'd like this blog to become is an opportunity to examine events - daily, ordinary, personal ones, or events of world importance, and anything in between - and show how these events must be interpreted, how misunderstandings arise through misrecognition, misreading, and lack of honesty about our own and others' interpretive frameworks, and how acknowledgment of one's own interpretive strategy and the worldview (or lack thereof) underlying it contributes to our reading of events.

It is my belief that if we were all more aware of our predilections, biases, and convictions, we would be better able to articulate our own interpretations of events and simultaneously be more respectful and understanding of differing interpretations. This requires a lot of courage to be both bold enough to speak truthfully and to listen openly to those whom we may - fundamentally, completely - disagree with.

If this takes off as I'd like it to, I'd eventually like to bring in others who will bring their skills, observation, and knowledge to navigate contemporary existence and how interpretation is weaved throughout it.

I wish you all the best and please stop by often.

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of a blog on interpretation is awesome. Interpretation is a theme of human existence that transcends interpretting written and spoken language--what non-academic people typically think of as interpretation. I was talking with my brother-in-law the other day about the meaning of art. He was arguing for a very rigid definition of art while I thought essentially anything can be art. Anyway, I asked whether he thought actors and actresses are artists and he said that they weren't. The writers are the artists and the actors/actresses only interpret the art. I pressed the point: Aren't writers also merely interpreters..... "Creating" a story out of their own interpretations of the stories they've enountered in their own lives. In a sense, we're all interpreters. This got me thinking of my own profession...sales. I've read a lot of blogs and books lately and professional salespeople truly consider themselves artists. But they aren't really 'creating' anything, are they? Maybe. Maybe not. But they are 'interpreting' the products or services they are selling for an intended audience. There. Just some thoughts from a fellow interpreter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by the concept of the professional salesperson as an artist - I can see why many of them would consider themselves so, but it's still a slightly weird designation.

    And, perhaps the difference between "interpretation" and "creation" is the the difference between good and great art. Just an idle thought, and one very opposed to postmodern value negation.

    ReplyDelete