Monday, April 2, 2012

Interpret this!

I lose interest in blogs quickly, mostly because I write to get feedback and typically don't get it. I lost interest in this blog last year, but conversations with my good friend JD about hermeneutics brought me back for a few cursory posts.

I'm about 85% percent sure that I will abandon this blog and blogging altogether. I have already eliminated Facebook from my life and cut back on my text messaging. I am too suspicious of the ephemeral nature of the digital word to embrace it fully. I am too interested in the projects that I am currently pursuing professionally, not the least of which was the recent acceptance of my essay on Flannery O'Connor's "A View of the Woods" into an upcoming book of O'Connor essays.

Frankly, the internet bores me more and more everyday. I find myself turning away from the digital more and more, and towards enjoying art and music, reading and a good movie. Yes, some of these things are delivered to me digitally, but only as a matter of convenience. My iPod gives me a choice as to what to listen to, for which I am thankful - have you listened to commercial radio lately? I recently went to the Art Museum here in Cincinnati. They have special exhibits by Nick Cave, Picasso, and Monet right now. Get off your ass, America. Get out of the house.

Once upon a time, the bourgeois went to the art museum. Now, they play on their iPhones and tablets, their laptops and PCs.

I'm going to the art museum as soon as I'm done writing this chapter of my thesis.

Fuck the bourgeois.

No comments:

Post a Comment